Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The Front IV


The North Western was one of four pubs in Wolverton. The publican was Stan Weir. I rarely went into this pub - the Craufurd being my haunt. The last occasion I went inside was a New Years Eve. As I was leaving with my friends someone near the door tried to throw a jacket over my head and aim a punch at me. Fortunately for me he was so drunk that he missed the target and hit someone else, who then retaliated. We left the brawl to develop and I never set foot inside again. I have no idea who my potential antagonist was or what was his motivation.
There was only one door into the pub, in the centre where there is now a window. There were about two steps up.
Next to the North Western, at Number 12, E. Sigwart and Son, Jewellers. Sigwarts were established prior to the war. I do remember some great excitement when Sigwarts were robbed. The perpetrator was not very bright, or at least he had not thought through his getaway plan, for, having relieved Sigwarts of some jewellery and watches he legged it to the Station, where presumably he expected to catch a train that would take him to safety!

The Grafton Cycle Company occupied Numbers 13 and 14. The left side shop was used for cycle repair and the right side as a "showroom". I use the word loosely because the Grafton never worried too much about appearance - the floorboards were bare and worn and the walls were generally unpainted. They also sold petrol.
I believe a plumber, A Rogers from Stony Stratford also occupied the back of number 13.

Freeman, Hardy and Willis operated a chain of shoe shops. Number 15 Stratford Road was one of them.

4 comments:

andrewbore said...

Numbers 13, 14, and 15 were once owned by my great great grandfather Richard Bore and he left one each to his three daughters.

Bryan Dunleavy said...

Fascinating! But may I seek some clarification. Stratford Road numbers went from west to east until 1900. So what is today 13,14 and 15 was 41, 40 and 39 in the 19th C.
In 1881 these were occupied by Peter Clayton, a Clerk (and his wife had a "Fancy Repository" here), Henry Symington, a Draper, and George Blower, a retired Iron Moulder.

andrewbore said...

The will was dated 4 Nov 1893. Here is what the will says:
I devise and bequeath my freehold messuage and tenement situate in Stratford Road in Wolverton aforesaid and numbered 15 being the premises purchased by me of Mr. Meakins unto my daughter Martha the Wife of Robert Henry Wheatly absolutely. I devise and bequeath my freehold messuage and tenement situate in Stratford Road in Wolverton aforesaid and numbered 13 being the premises purchased by me of Mrs. Olivia Harding unto my daughter Hannah Maria the Wife of William Thomas Wheatly absolutely. I devise and bequeath my freehold messuage and tenement situate in Stratford Road in Wolverton aforesaid and numbered 14 and now in the occupation of Mr. J. B. Williams unto my daughter Catherine Jane the Wife of William Williams absolutely.

Bryan Dunleavy said...

Thanks Andrew. I have put up a new post today which identifies these houses.