Saturday, October 23, 2010
The First Wolverton Locomotive
Wolverton's initial purpose was the repair and maintenance of engines, but before too many years passed the workforce had acquired the skills and equipment to build new engines. The tradition of contracting out the building to other firms continued, even in McConnell's time, but increasingly Wolverton took on new builds.
The first engine was numbered 92 (engines were numbered consecutively as they were put into service) and was built in 1845. Harry Jack suggest that spare parts may have been used in its construction.
In the following year Number 95, the second Wolverton locomotive, was built. An the photograph below of a locomotive built at the same time offers another view.